A weekly publication of Towson Church — February 5, 2021
Connect with Us
This Week’s Schedule: February 7, 2021
- 10:00-11:00 AM Blessed Ashes Pick-Up in the church lobby for Ash Wednesday. Stop by anytime. Face masks required.
- 10:15 AM Worship Service in the Sanctuary (in-person, livestream, and recorded) To attend in-person worship, save your seat HERE. Or, stop at the Welcome Desk upon arrival. Wear a facemask and bring a jacket; the church windows are open! You may also worship from home at 10:15 AM or another time on YouTube HERE.
- 11:15 AM Communion Outdoors — Meet a pastor after worship at the side Sanctuary door to receive individually-wrapped communion elements. Face masks required.
- Weekly Offering Donate any time by using our easy, secure donation site HERE. Or, send contributions through U.S. Mail to Towson Church, 501 Hampton Lane, Towson, MD 21286.
The Save-A-Seat link is the SAME link each week, so you may consider setting it as a bookmark in your browser or on your desktop for easy access. Or, simply connect from the main page of our website. To reserve your seat for in-person worship, follow this link each week: Save-A-Seat.
Children’s Easter Story & Egg Hunt – Saturday, March 27
Join us at 11:00 AM to hear the Easter Story and hunt for eggs on the front lawn of Towson Church. Bring a bag or basket to gather eggs. Wear a facemask and maintain at least 6-feet of physical distance on campus. This event is hosted by Education Work Area and Youth Group for our youngest church members and guests. Invite friends! Contact: Pastor Christine Kumar 410.823.6511
Blessed Ashes Pick-Up — Sundays February 7 and February 14
Missing the usual church traditions due to pandemic precautions? Don’t miss this unique opportunity to kick off Lent with ASH! Stop by church on Sunday 2/7 or 2/14 (from 9:00-11:00 AM) to pick up pre-packaged, blessed ashes to take home for Ash Wednesday’s Meditation Video, to be released at 9:00 AM on February 17. Or contact us at 410.823.6511 by February 10, 2021 and we will send you a package of blessed ashes via U.S. Mail.
Prayer Shawl Gathers — February 3 and February 16
Our Prayer Shawl Ministry is resuming its meetings this month! Beginning this week, Prayer Shawl will meet twice a month via Zoom. Mark your calendars for the first Wednesday from 6:00–8:00 PM and the third Tuesday from 9:00–11:00 AM. Call the church office for contact information and the Zoom links. Can’t wait to see you (and all your handmade projects) soon!
- 2/14 Sunday Worship in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM
- 2/14 Blessed Ashes Pick-Up at church (10:00-11:00 AM) for Ash Wednesday
- 2/17 Ash Wednesday Meditation Video on YouTube, 9:00 AM
- 2/21 Sunday Worship in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM
- 2/28 Sunday Worship in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM
- 3/7 Sunday Worship with Communion in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM. Meet a pastor at the side sanctuary door for communion at 11:00 AM if you are not worshipping in-person. All communion elements are individually-wrapped. Face masks and physical distancing required.
- 3/14 Sunday Worship in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM
- 3/21 Sunday Worship in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM
- 3/27 Easter Story & Egg Hunt on church lawn, Saturday 11:00 AM
- 3/28 Palm Sunday Worship in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM
- 4/1 Maundy Thursday Meditation Video on YouTube, 9:00 AM
- 4/2 Good Friday Self-Guided Prayer Journey in Sanctuary, noon-7:30 PM
- 4/4 Easter Worship in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM
Streets of Hope
Join Towson Church to feed the homeless of eastern Baltimore County during cold months at an overnight shelter in Essex. We are supporting this worthwhile initiative, in partnership with 30 other area churches, supplying dinners for approximately 20 men on a rotating basis. Our next scheduled date is Tuesday, February 16. Due to the coronavirus, we only need to drop off the meal at the center…so much easier than in past years. Here are the basics:
· The main course can be pre-made wrapped sandwiches of some kind or you may choose to send pizza or some other type of food delivery. There are several carryout food choices in the area: Seasons Pizza, Little Caesars pizza (please order 4 large), Subway, Royal Farm (chicken), Wendy’s, Popeyes, Taco Bell and Burger King.
· Meals should also contain (but are not limited to) a prepackaged snack, dessert, fruit, breakfast bar and bottled water. Larger containers of soda, milk or tea can be dispensed by the staff and would be welcomed.
· The church will reimburse you for the expenses.
Many thanks for your assistance in the past and thanks for your consideration this winter. To volunteer, call the church office for contact information.
February Moment on a Mission: Assistance Center of Towson Churches (ACTC)
The Assistance Center of Towson Churches (ACTC) hails back to a study in the early 1980s conducted by the Towson Area Ministerial Association exploring an effective and efficient way to better meet the needs of people coming to churches for help. The center opened its doors in 1985 with 14 churches providing emergency help, including food, eviction and utility cutoff prevention, payment for prescriptions, and lunches for the homeless. Currently, with the support of 50 churches and other generous donors, its service area incorporates 21 zip codes in central Baltimore County extending up to the Pennsylvania line. The center is located at 120 W. Pennsylvania Avenue in Towson, MD. www.actconline.info
To give now, click HERE to use a credit card or online payments. Or, make a monetary donation via check payable to Towson Church and indicate it’s for the communion offering. Mail your check to Towson Church, 501 Hampton Lane, Towson, MD 21286.
Emergency Food Pantry February 20, 2021
Our Food Pantry continues as a monthly DRIVE-THRU from 9:00-10:30 AM on the third Saturday of each month (except November 13 and December 11 later this year). Thanks to everyone who maintains this mission as a safe, physically-distant, Drive-By Pantry. Our church has been blessed with several incredibly-generous community donations in recent months. During these winter months, guests may call the HOTLINE at 410.823.3649 and listen to a recorded message regarding inclement weather changes or cancellations.
THIS WEEKEND!!! February 5-6: ROCK — a FREE interactive online UM Conference event that replaces the in-person youth event in Ocean City, MD this year. Check your email for entry links if you -pre-registered with Pastor Christine. www.bwcumc.org/ROCK
- 2/5 Virtual ROCK “Opening Ceremony” from Home (pre-registration required)
- 2/6 Virtual ROCK Sessions from Home (pre-registration required)
- 2/7 NO Youth Group
- 2/14 Game Night with Ms. Allison via Zoom, 5:00 PM
- 2/21 Bible Study via Zoom with Pastor Christine, 5:00 PM
- 2/28 Card-Making Service Project for homebound members, 5:00 PM
Contact Associate Pastor Christine Kumar in the Church Office at 410.823.6511 for information.
*At this time, due to coronavirus restrictions/precautions, all Youth Group gatherings are via Zoom, unless otherwise noted on the calendar.
Call the Church Office at 410.823.6511 for information.
Children/Youth Classes and Meetings
- Religious Education Grades Pre-K to Kindergarten. Monday nights 6:30-7:30 PM via Zoom.
- Religious Education Grades 1-5. Tuesday nights 6:30-7:30 PM via Zoom.
- Youth Group Grades 6-12. Sunday nights at 5:00 PM
Adult Classes and Meetings
- Tower Class. Sunday mornings at 8:30 AM via Zoom.
- Christians Under Construction. Sunday mornings at 9:00 AM via Zoom.
- Coffee & Conversation with a Pastor. Wednesday Mornings at 9:00 AM. Join the weekly gatherings via Zoom.
- Men’s Bible Study. Thursday mornings at 7:00 AM via Zoom
New Winter Book Study!
The Women’s Read and Relate Group will begin a special four-week discussion of the book Why? Making Sense of God’s Will by Adam Hamilton. The book addresses questions that many have about suffering, unanswered prayer, God’s will, and more. The group will meet by Zoom Wednesday evenings at 7:30 PM on 2/10, 2/24, 3/10, and 3/24. The book is available on Amazon. We would love to have you join us! Call the church office for group leader information.
Towson Church Cares About YOU!
If you, or someone you know, is experiencing hardship or hospitalization, then please contact our Church Office ASAP to notify the pastors and Congregational Care Team. During this time of physical distancing, we are doing our best to stay connected with everyone – which is definitely a challenge! Also, our Congregational Care Committee will confidentially help with prayers and any other individual needs as coronavirus physical-distancing guidelines allow. Note: we are not visiting any members at this time. CALL 410.823.6511 (select option #3) and we will respond promptly.
BEWARE of Scammers
- Our church recently learned about a gift card scam that is circulating the Internet via email. Please know, if you receive ANY email notes that request you purchase and send gift cards to anyone, including Towson Church, delete the message immediately. We will never solicit gift cards in this manner.
- If you are contacted by anyone who promises to give you the COVID vaccine in exchange for cash or other items, please ignore this request and notify your local police department.
Help us spark and sustain the missions and ministries of Towson Church with these easy ways to GIVE.
- Shop Online at Amazon SMILE
When you shop at Amazon Smile and select Towson UMC at checkout, our church receives a donation from Amazon for every single purchase. This passive income significantly contributes to our church’s general fund. Click on the link and try it today!
- Mail Your Offering, Fundraiser Payments, and Other Checks
Send your offering checks and other financial correspondence to the Church Office at Towson Church, 501 Hampton Lane, Towson, MD 21286 and we will process them swiftly.
- Donate Online
Visit the new Shelby online giving site HERE. Select from the named options or choose “Other” and write the activity/donation/event name you want to support in the memo line next to the amount.
Lent is the Season of Sabbath
Lent is a season of forty days, not counting Sundays, which begins on Ash Wednesday and ends on Holy Saturday. Lent comes from the Anglo Saxon word lencten, meaning “lengthen” and refers to the lengthening days of spring. The forty days represents the time Jesus spent in the wilderness, enduring the temptation of Satan and preparing to begin his ministry. — www.umc.org
If you are on our church mailing list, then you should’ve received a printed Lenten Booklet in the U.S. Mail from Towson Church recently. Inspired by scripture and the poetry of Wendell Berry, the booklet offers weekly readings and activities to promote a time of intentional quiet during one of the most restorative and hopeful seasons of the year. If you would like to receive a copy, then call 410.823.6511 and leave a message with your mailing address.
Thank you for making Towson Church your church home. We’re glad you are here!
Welcome Statement: Towson United Methodist Church is a community of Christ-followers growing in love of God and neighbor. This is what we, at Towson UMC, believe Christian discipleship is, what we are to be, and what Jesus meant when he sent his followers to “make disciples”— We believe every person is of sacred worth and created in God’s image. We commit to Jesus’ example of inclusive love, care, and intentional hospitality with persons of every race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, faith story, physical or mental ability, economic status, or political perspective. We respect our diversity of opinion and expressions of faith. Therefore, as God loves us, so let us love and serve in the name of Christ. — adopted by the Towson UMC Church Council February 2, 2015
You are receiving information and inspiration because you are connected to Towson United Methodist Church.
© 2018-2021, Towson United Methodist Church/Towson Church, all rights reserved. Volume 4. Issue 80.
Towson Church : 501 Hampton Lane, Towson MD 21286 : 410.823.6511 : www.towsonchurch.org