A weekly publication of Towson Church — February 12, 2021
Connect with Us
- This Week’s Schedule: February 14, 2021
- 10:00-11:00 AM Blessed Ashes Pick-Up in the church lobby for Ash Wednesday. Stop by anytime between 10 and 11 AM. Face masks required.
- 10:15 AM Worship Service + Communion in the Sanctuary (in-person, livestream, and recorded) To attend in-person worship, save your seat HERE. Or, stop at the Welcome Desk upon arrival. Wear a facemask and bring a jacket; the church windows are open! You may also worship via livestream from home at 10:15 AM or another time on YouTube HERE.
- 11:00 AM Communion Outdoors — Meet a pastor after worship at the side Sanctuary door to receive individually-wrapped communion elements. Face masks required.
- Weekly Offering Donate any time by using our easy, secure donation site HERE. Or, send contributions through U.S. Mail to Towson Church, 501 Hampton Lane, Towson, MD 21286.
**** In case of inclement weather, watch our Facebook page for Sunday morning worship updates or cancellations! Be safe. ***
The Save-A-Seat link is the SAME link each week, so you may consider setting it as a bookmark in your browser or on your desktop for easy access. Or, simply connect from the main page of our website. To reserve your seat for in-person worship, follow this link each week: Save-A-Seat.
Easter HOP THRU Celebration for Children – Saturday, March 27
Join us at 11:00 AM for a DRIVE THRU Celebration of Easter with our youngest church members and guests. Bring the whole family! Wear a facemask and stay in your vehicle as you visit the church to receive a bag filled with the Easter Story and Egg Treats. This event is hosted by Education Work Area and Youth Group. Invite friends! Contact: Pastor Christine Kumar 410.823.6511
Blessed Ashes Pick-Up for Ash Wednesday
Missing the usual church traditions due to pandemic precautions? Don’t miss this unique opportunity to kick off Lent with ASHES!
Stop by church on Sunday 2/14 (from 10:00-11:00 AM) or Wednesday 2/17 (from 10:00 AM-5:00 PM) to pick up pre-packaged, blessed ashes to take home for Ash Wednesday’s Meditation Video, which will be released at 9:00 AM on February 17.
Or contact us at 410.823.6511 and we will send you a package of blessed ashes via U.S. Mail.
Prayer Shawl Gathers Twice a Month
Our Prayer Shawl Ministry is resuming meetings this month! Beginning this week, Prayer Shawl Ministry members will meet twice a month via Zoom. Mark your calendars for the first Wednesday each month from 6:00–8:00 PM and the third Tuesday each month from 9:00–11:00 AM. Call the church office for contact information and the Zoom links. Can’t wait to see you (and all your handmade projects) soon!
- 2/14 Sunday Worship + Communion in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM
- 2/14 Blessed Ashes Pick-Up at church (10:00-11:00 AM) for Ash Wednesday
- 2/17 Blessed Ashes Pick-Up at church (10:00-5:00 PM) for Ash Wednesday
- 2/17 Ash Wednesday Meditation Video available on YouTube, 9:00 AM
- 2/21 Sunday Worship in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM
- 2/28 Sunday Worship in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM
- 3/7 Sunday Worship with Communion in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM. Meet a pastor at the side sanctuary door for communion at 11:00 AM if you are not worshipping in-person. All communion elements are individually-wrapped. Face masks and physical distancing required.
- 3/14 Sunday Worship in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM
- 3/21 Sunday Worship in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM
- 3/27 Easter HOP THRU Celebration for Children drive by church event on Saturday, 11:00 AM
- 3/28 Palm Sunday Worship in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM
- 4/1 Maundy Thursday Meditation Video on YouTube, 9:00 AM
- 4/2 Good Friday Self-Guided Prayer Journey in Sanctuary, noon-7:30 PM
- 4/4 Easter Worship in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM
Streets of Hope
Join Towson Church to feed the homeless of eastern Baltimore County during cold months at an overnight shelter in Essex. We are supporting this worthwhile initiative, in partnership with 30 other area churches, supplying dinners for approximately 20 men on a rotating basis. Our next scheduled date is Tuesday, February 16. Due to the coronavirus, we only need to drop off the meal at the center…so much easier than in past years. Many thanks for your assistance in the past and thanks for your consideration this winter. To volunteer, call the church office for contact information.
February Moment on a Mission: Assistance Center of Towson Churches (ACTC)
The Assistance Center of Towson Churches (ACTC) hails back to a study in the early 1980s conducted by the Towson Area Ministerial Association exploring an effective and efficient way to better meet the needs of people coming to churches for help. The center opened its doors in 1985 with 14 churches providing emergency help, including food, eviction and utility cutoff prevention, payment for prescriptions, and lunches for the homeless. Currently, with the support of 50 churches and other generous donors, its service area incorporates 21 zip codes in central Baltimore County extending up to the Pennsylvania line. The center is located at 120 W. Pennsylvania Avenue in Towson, MD. www.actconline.info
To give now, click HERE to use a credit card or online payments. Or, make a monetary donation via check payable to Towson Church and indicate it’s for the communion offering. Mail your check to Towson Church, 501 Hampton Lane, Towson, MD 21286.
Emergency Food Pantry February 20, 2021
Our Food Pantry continues as a monthly DRIVE-THRU from 9:00-10:30 AM on the third Saturday of each month (except November 13 and December 11 later this year). Thanks to everyone who maintains this mission as a safe, physically-distant, Drive-By Pantry. Our church has been blessed with several incredibly-generous community donations in recent months. During these winter months, guests may call the HOTLINE at 410.823.3649 and listen to a recorded message regarding inclement weather changes or cancellations.
Why do skunks love Valentine’s Day?
Because skunks are are very scent-imental
source: Pun-a-Day Calendar 2021
- 2/14 Game Night with Ms. Allison via Zoom, 5:00 PM
- 2/21 Bible Study via Zoom with Pastor Christine, 5:00 PM
- 2/28 Card-Making Service Project for homebound members, 5:00 PM
Contact Associate Pastor Christine Kumar in the Church Office at 410.823.6511 for information.
*At this time, due to coronavirus restrictions/precautions, all Youth Group gatherings are via Zoom, unless otherwise noted on the calendar.
Call the Church Office at 410.823.6511 for information.
Children/Youth Classes and Meetings
- Religious Education Grades Pre-K to Kindergarten. Monday nights 6:30-7:30 PM via Zoom.
- Religious Education Grades 1-5. Tuesday nights 6:30-7:30 PM via Zoom.
- Youth Group Grades 6-12. Sunday nights at 5:00 PM
Adult Classes and Meetings
- Tower Class. Sunday mornings at 8:30 AM via Zoom.
- Christians Under Construction. Sunday mornings at 9:00 AM via Zoom.
- Coffee & Conversation with a Pastor. Wednesday Mornings at 9:00 AM. Join the weekly gatherings via Zoom.
- Men’s Bible Study. Thursday mornings at 7:00 AM via Zoom
New Winter Book Study!
The Women’s Read and Relate Group will begin a special four-week discussion of the book Why? Making Sense of God’s Will by Adam Hamilton. The book addresses questions that many have about suffering, unanswered prayer, God’s will, and more. The group will meet by Zoom Wednesday evenings at 7:30 PM on 2/10, 2/24, 3/10, and 3/24. The book is available on Amazon. We would love to have you join us! Call the church office for group leader information.
Towson Church Cares About YOU!
If you, or someone you know, is experiencing hardship or hospitalization, then please contact our Church Office ASAP to notify the pastors and Congregational Care Team. During this time of physical distancing, we are doing our best to stay connected with everyone – which is definitely a challenge! Also, our Congregational Care Committee will confidentially help with prayers and any other individual needs as coronavirus physical-distancing guidelines allow. Note: we are not visiting any members at this time. CALL 410.823.6511 (select option #3) and we will respond promptly.
BEWARE of Scammers
- Our church recently learned about a gift card scam that is circulating the Internet via email. Please know, if you receive ANY email notes that request you purchase and send gift cards to anyone, including Towson Church, delete the message immediately. We will never solicit gift cards in this manner.
- If you are contacted by anyone who promises to give you the COVID vaccine in exchange for cash or other items, please ignore this request and notify your local police department.
Help us spark and sustain the missions and ministries of Towson Church with these easy ways to GIVE.
- Shop Online at Amazon SMILE
When you shop at Amazon Smile and select Towson UMC at checkout, our church receives a donation from Amazon for every single purchase. This passive income significantly contributes to our church’s general fund. Click on the link and try it today!
- Mail Your Offering, Fundraiser Payments, and Other Checks
Send your offering checks and other financial correspondence to the Church Office at Towson Church, 501 Hampton Lane, Towson, MD 21286 and we will process them swiftly.
- Donate Online
Visit the new Shelby online giving site HERE. Select from the named options or choose “Other” and write the activity/donation/event name you want to support in the memo line next to the amount.
Love in Action
This week, here is a thought-provoking letter excerpt by Easterseals’ CEO & President Angela F. Williams.
“I believe we are called this Black History Month, not merely to honor and remember, but to celebrate the values of equality, tolerance and inclusivity [Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr] so compellingly expressed in his great dream for America.
Over the course of human history, we’ve seen pieces of that dream come into fruition — witnessed the power of collective human will for good. But we’ve also seen the destruction of individuals, families and entire communities as a result of intolerance and exclusivity… Dr. King once said that we all have to decide whether we “will walk in the light of creative altruism or the darkness of destructive selfishness.” Life’s most persistent and nagging question, he said, is `what are you doing for others?’
This Black History Month, I want you to ask yourself these questions:
- How do I show love to my neighbors who don’t look like me or are not in my sphere of influence?
- How do I show love to my colleagues at work? To family members?
- Am I love in action?”
Have fun spreading love this Valentine’s weekend and beyond!
Note: Angela F. Williams is president and CEO of Easterseals, the nation’s leading nonprofit provider of life-changing services and powerful advocacy for people with disabilities of all ages, including veterans and seniors. She is the first Black woman to hold this post and was hired in 2018 as a change agent.
Thank you for making Towson Church your church home. We’re glad you are here!
Welcome Statement: Towson United Methodist Church is a community of Christ-followers growing in love of God and neighbor. This is what we, at Towson UMC, believe Christian discipleship is, what we are to be, and what Jesus meant when he sent his followers to “make disciples”— We believe every person is of sacred worth and created in God’s image. We commit to Jesus’ example of inclusive love, care, and intentional hospitality with persons of every race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, faith story, physical or mental ability, economic status, or political perspective. We respect our diversity of opinion and expressions of faith. Therefore, as God loves us, so let us love and serve in the name of Christ. — adopted by the Towson UMC Church Council February 2, 2015
You are receiving information and inspiration because you are connected to Towson United Methodist Church.
© 2018-2021, Towson United Methodist Church/Towson Church, all rights reserved. Volume 4. Issue 81.
Towson Church : 501 Hampton Lane, Towson MD 21286 : 410.823.6511 : www.towsonchurch.org