A weekly publication of Towson Church — March 26, 2021
Connect with Us
It’s spring! And, we are happy to welcome many members and friends back into the church sanctuary for in-person worship! Thank you for following our COVID-19 safety procedures to keep us all safe and healthy. Call the church office or refer to our Reenter Well Guide revised March 11 2021 PRINT FINAL with any questions or concerns.
Palm Sunday’s Schedule: March 28, 2021
- 10:15 AM Worship in the Sanctuary (in-person, livestream, and recorded) To attend in-person worship, save your seat HERE. Or, stop at the Welcome Desk upon arrival. Wear a face mask and maintain physical distance. Pick up palms during worship! You may also worship via livestream from home at 10:15 AM or another time on YouTube HERE.
- 11 AM Blessed Palm Pick-Up Drive by our church building on Sunday 3/28 at 11:00 AM to pick up blessed palm crosses — No need to come inside! Stay in your vehicle; wear a face mask; and we will hand you a blessed palm to take home.
- Noon Peaceful Presence in Response to Recent Atlanta Shooting coordinated by Eden Korean UMC on the grounds of the church at 56 Stevenson Lane, Baltimore MD 21212. Stand in solidarity against violence and racism! Join Pastor Mark Johnson, area clergy, and United Methodists. Wear a face mask and honor COVID-19 distancing protocols; you may also bring a sign of support!
- NO Youth Group
- Weekly Offering Donate any time by using our easy, secure donation site HERE. Or, send contributions through U.S. Mail to Towson Church, 501 Hampton Lane, Towson, MD 21286.
Easter Sunday: April 4, 2021
- 10:15 AM Worship Save your seat now for Sunday April 4th — In-Person Easter Worship Service! Click HERE. You may also worship via livestream from home at 10:15 AM or another time on YouTube HERE.
**** In case of inclement weather, watch our Facebook page for Sunday morning worship updates and cancellations! Be safe. ***
Easter DRIVE THRU Celebration for Children – Saturday, March 27
Join us at 11:00 AM for a DRIVE THRU Celebration of Easter with our youngest church members and guests, ages 10 and younger. Bring friends! Wear a facemask and stay in your vehicle as you visit the church to receive a bag filled with the Easter Story and Egg Treats. This event is hosted by Education Work Area. Contact: Pastor Christine Kumar 410.823.6511
God Delights in Us!
This Lenten season, let’s spend some intentional, quiet time unplugging, creating, healing, listening, remembering.
Refer to your printed Lenten booklet, “Wendell Berry and the Sabbath Poetry of Lent,” (that we mailed a few weeks ago) for weekly scripture, meditations, and activities to grant you much-needed rest and to draw you closer to God.
Or, watch our Facebook page for spiritual inspiration each Monday during Lent.
- 3/28 NO Youth Group—Palm Sunday
- 4/2 Good Friday The youth are encouraged to come and experience the 24 hours that led to Jesus’ crucifixion as we studied in our Bible study. The church is open from noon to 7:30 PM. Pastor Christine will be at the church from 4:30 to 7:30 PM.
- 4/4 NO Youth Group—Easter Sunday
4/11 Outdoor games and pizza, 5-6:30 PM on front church lawn
4/18 Bible Study on Forgiveness with Pastor Christine, 5-6 PM via Zoom
4/25 Dr. Stacey Cole Wilson from the Baltimore Washington Conference will speak on social justice issues and how we can be involved. 5-6:15 PM via Zoom
Contact Associate Pastor Christine Kumar in the Church Office at 410.823.6511 for information.
Call the Church Office at 410.823.6511 for information.
NEW RETREAT in APRIL!
- Restorative Retreat on Julian of Norwich hosted by Pastor Christine Kumar, 4/24 from 10:00 AM-noon OR 4/29 7:00-8:00 PM
Children/Youth Classes and Meetings
- Religious Education Grades Pre-K to Kindergarten. Monday nights 6:30-7:30 PM via Zoom.
- Religious Education Grades 1-5. Tuesday nights 6:30-7:30 PM via Zoom.
- Youth Group Grades 6-12. Sunday nights at 5:00 PM
Adult Classes and Meetings
- Tower Class. Sunday mornings at 8:30 AM via Zoom.
- Christians Under Construction. Sunday mornings at 9:00 AM via Zoom.
- Coffee & Conversation with a Pastor. Wednesday Mornings at 9:00 AM. Join the weekly gatherings via Zoom.
- Men’s Bible Study. Thursday mornings at 7:00 AM via Zoom.
Winter Book Study
The Women’s Read and Relate Group is having a special discussion of the book Why? Making Sense of God’s Will by Adam Hamilton. The book addresses questions that many have about suffering, unanswered prayer, God’s will, and more. The group will meet by Zoom Wednesday evenings at 7:30 PM. The book is available on Amazon. We would love to have you join us! Call the church office for group leader information. 410.823.6511
Towson Church Cares About YOU!
If you, or someone you know, is experiencing hardship or hospitalization, then please contact our Church Office ASAP to notify the pastors and Congregational Care Team. During this time of physical distancing, we are doing our best to stay connected with everyone – which is definitely a challenge! Also, our Congregational Care Committee will confidentially help with prayers and any other individual needs as coronavirus physical-distancing guidelines allow. Note: we are not visiting any members at this time. CALL 410.823.6511 (select option #3) and we will respond promptly.
Calling all Campers (and Parents)! The United Methodist Baltimore-Washington Conference is hosting Summer Camp at Manidokin and West River this year. Does your child enjoy playing games, splashing in the pool, singing around a campfire, making crafts, paddling on the river and roasting s’mores? If so, then camping might be a great summer getaway. Yes! The camp sites will look a bit different due to covid precautions. But, safety is a top priority! Check out the possibilities on the conference website HERE. Contact Pastor Christine Kumar HERE if your child or youth is interested in camping and if your family is seeking a needs-based scholarship. Pastor Christine has all the details to apply!
- 3/27 Easter HOP THRU Celebration for Children drive by church event on Saturday, 11:00 AM to Noon
- 3/28 Palm Sunday Worship & Blessed Palm/Communion Element Pick Up in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM. Face masks, physical distancing and check-in required for in-person worship. Meet us at the front door for Blessed Palm Pick Up at 11:00 AM if you are not worshipping in person. Also, pick up blessed communion elements at 11:00 AM for Maundy Thursday’s home meditation.
- 4/1 Maundy Thursday Meditation Video on YouTube, 9:00 AM
- 4/2 Good Friday Self-Guided Prayer Journey in Sanctuary, noon-7:30 PM
- 4/4 Easter Worship in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM
- Restorative Retreat on Julian of Norwich hosted by Pastor Christine Kumar, 4/24 from 10:00 AM-noon OR 4/29 7:00-8:00 PM
The Save-A-Seat link is the SAME link each week, so you may consider setting it as a bookmark in your browser or on your desktop for easy access. Or, simply connect from the main page of our website. To reserve your seat for in-person worship, follow this link each week: Save-A-Seat.
KUDOS from Food Pantry Team
Bloomin’ CHURCH NEWS
The spring 2021 High Spire newsletter is HERE! Click the link to access the digital version.
Emergency Food Pantry Monthly
Our Food Pantry continues as a monthly DRIVE-THRU from 9:00-10:30 AM on the third Saturday of each month. (NOTE: November 13 and December 11 dates later this year are the second Saturday.) Thanks to everyone who maintains this mission as a safe, physically-distant, Drive-By Pantry. Our church has been blessed with several incredibly-generous community donations in recent months. During these winter months, guests may call the HOTLINE at 410.823.3649 and listen to a recorded message regarding inclement weather changes or cancellations.
March Moment on a Mission: Heifer International
Giving an animal is like giving someone a small business, providing wool, milk, eggs, and more. Animal donations can provide families a hand up, increasing access to medicine, school, food, and a sustainable livelihood. When considering your donation in March, take a look at this helpful list so you know what your Heifer International gift may buy. For more specific information, check out www.heifer.org.
- Goat, full price is $120; a share is $10.
- Heifer, a cow, full price is $500; a share is $50
- Water buffalo, full price is $250; a share is $25
- Alpaca, full price is $150; a share is $20
- Sheep, full price is $120; a share is $10
- Pig, full price is $120; a share is $10
- Rabbits, full price is $60
- Flock of Ducks, Chicks, or geese are $20
- Honeybees, $30 hive
To give now, click HERE to use a credit card or online payments. Or, make a monetary donation via check payable to Towson Church and indicate it’s for the communion offering. Mail your check to Towson Church, 501 Hampton Lane, Towson, MD 21286.
The Upper Room Devotionals AVAILABLE
Looking for ways to create a daily life with God? Check out the popular devotional, The Upper Room. Towson Church has purchased and distributed paper copies of this gem through the years. Now, the publication is available online for our congregation members to read and share. This is particularly helpful during the pandemic. Click HERE to access the latest issue of The Upper Room. Or, contact the church office to receive a paper copy via U.S. Mail. 410.823.6511
Prayer Shawl Gathers Twice a Month
Our Prayer Shawl Ministry is resuming meetings this month — twice a month via Zoom. Mark your calendars for the first Wednesday of each month from 6:00–8:00 PM and the third Tuesday of each month from 9:00–11:00 AM. Call the church office for contact information and the Zoom links. Can’t wait to see you (and all your handmade projects) soon! 410.823.6511
Help us spark and sustain the missions and ministries of Towson Church with these easy ways to GIVE.
- Shop Online at Amazon SMILE
When you shop at Amazon Smile and select Towson UMC at checkout, our church receives a donation from Amazon for every single purchase. This passive income significantly contributes to our church’s general fund. Click on the link and try it today!
- Mail Your Offering, Fundraiser Payments, and Other Checks
Send your offering checks and other financial correspondence to the Church Office at Towson Church, 501 Hampton Lane, Towson, MD 21286 and we will process them swiftly.
- Donate Online
Visit the new Shelby online giving site HERE. Select from the named options or choose “Other” and write the activity/donation/event name you want to support in the memo line next to the amount.
Psalm 118 on Palm Sunday
This is the day that the Lord has made;
let us rejoice and be glad in it…
Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord.
We bless you from the house of the Lord…
The Lord is God,
and he has given us light.
Bind the festal procession with branches…
O give thanks to the Lord, for he is good,
for his steadfast love endures forever.
“As we begin the liturgical marathon of Holy Week, let us be led not by fear, but by love. We enter into the week, and we enter into the story, bearing witness as Jesus passes by. But we don’t just watch. We go with him, in body, heart, mind and spirit.
Here in the Psalm we move our bodies into a festal procession to the altar of sacrifice: “The Lord is God, and he has given us light. Bind the festal procession with branches, up to the horns of the altar” (Psalm 118, 27. NRSV)… We join our voices in an ancient hymn, singing to keep our voices in steady rhythm with our Lord and with each other as we begin the walk through Holy Week. In the Gospel, we bear witness to a literal parade of onlookers. We enact the ritual as we envision the crowds of people throwing their cloaks on the ground before the passing king, and waving evergreen branches as they shout “Hosanna! Blessed is the one who comes in the name of the Lord! Blessed is the coming kingdom of our ancestor David! Hosanna in the highest heaven!” (Mark 11:9b-10, NRSV).
Let us join in the celebration! Let us walk with Jesus! Let us shout “Hosanna” as we bid welcome to the one who comes in the name of the Lord!
And most of all, let us join with Him—physically, spiritually, emotionally, completely—in the journey he calls us to take with him.”
Thank you for making Towson Church your church home. We’re glad you are here!
Welcome Statement: Towson United Methodist Church is a community of Christ-followers growing in love of God and neighbor. This is what we, at Towson UMC, believe Christian discipleship is, what we are to be, and what Jesus meant when he sent his followers to “make disciples”— We believe every person is of sacred worth and created in God’s image. We commit to Jesus’ example of inclusive love, care, and intentional hospitality with persons of every race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, faith story, physical or mental ability, economic status, or political perspective. We respect our diversity of opinion and expressions of faith. Therefore, as God loves us, so let us love and serve in the name of Christ. — adopted by the Towson UMC Church Council February 2, 2015
You are receiving information and inspiration because you are connected to Towson United Methodist Church.
© 2018-2021, Towson United Methodist Church/Towson Church, all rights reserved. Volume 4. Issue 87
Towson Church : 501 Hampton Lane, Towson MD 21286 : 410.823.6511 : www.towsonchurch.org