A weekly publication of Towson Church — April 23, 2021
Connect with Us
It’s spring and things are certainly blooming at Towson Church. Scroll through the news today so you don’t miss any spring happenings.
Next month, we are welcoming back more of our church and community groups for meetings and activities on the church campus. Thank you for following our COVID-19 safety procedures to keep us all safe and healthy — and to ensure our church continues its vital missions and ministry work!
Week of April 24, 2021
- Saturday – April 24, 10:00 AM to Noon Restorative Retreat on Julian of Norwich at church, RSVP required HERE
- Sunday – April 25, 10:15 AM Worship Join us for in-person, livestream, and recorded worship. To attend in-person worship, save your seat HERE. Or, stop at the Welcome Desk upon arrival. Wear a face mask and maintain physical distance. You may also worship via livestream from home at 10:15 AM or another time on YouTube HERE.
- Sunday – April 25, 5-6:15 PM Youth Group Discusses Social Justice via Zoom
- Thursday – April 29, 7:00-8:00 PM Restorative Retreat on Julian of Norwich via Zoom, RSVP required HERE
- Weekly Offering Donate any time by using our easy, secure donation site HERE. Or, send contributions through the U.S. Mail to Towson Church, 501 Hampton Lane, Towson, MD 21286.
LOOK WITHIN: A Restorative Retreat on Julian of Norwich
Gain a greater understanding of God, yourself and the world by exploring the words and works of Julian of Norwich. Led by Pastor Christine Kumar, this retreat will restore your soul. Choose from two dates, times and places. RSVP required for either option.
- Saturday, April 24 from 10:00 AM till Noon at church
- Thursday, April 29 from 7:00-8:00 PM via Zoom
Contact Retreat Leader, Pastor Christine Kumar in the Church Office at 410.823.6511 to save your seat. Be sure to specify your date choice!
Spring Fling — May 2, 2021 from 10:15 AM to 1:00 PM
Mark your calendar for some SPRING FUN! Meet at church for 10:15 AM worship & communion then stay for a burst of activities on the front lawn!
Dress casually. Bring a lawn chair or blanket and a picnic lunch! Remember to wear a face mask and maintain physical distance so everyone can enjoy time together. Questions? Call the church office at 410.823.6511.
- 10:15 AM Worship & Communion plus Blessing of the Araminta Runners/Walkers/Unrunners. Wear your athletic gear and team t-shirt to worship!
- 11:00 AM Refreshments on the lawn Enjoy light, wrapped treats from our Hospitality Team or pack your own picnic lunch and a lawn chair.
- 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM Spring Plant Sale Buy gorgeous spring plants to give as gifts or keep for yourself! ORDER & PAY EARLY HERE! Plant Sale Pre-order Form 2021 Fillable FINAL
- 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM Pop-Up Fundraiser Purchase gorgeous crystal and china pieces for your home. All proceeds benefit Towson Church.
- 11:30 AM Araminta Fun Walk/Unrun Join church team members for a 1 mile fun walk around the parking lot OR bring a chair and cheer us on!
YOUTH GROUP GRADES 6-12
4/25 Dr. Stacey Cole Wilson from the Baltimore Washington Conference will speak on social justice issues and how we can be involved. 5-6:15 PM via Zoom
- 5/2 Araminta FUN Walk/Unrun at Towson Church Parking Lot, 11:30 AM. Join the team!
Contact Associate Pastor Christine Kumar in the Church Office at 410.823.6511 for information.
Call the Church Office at 410.823.6511 for information.
NEW RETREAT in APRIL!
- Restorative Retreat on Julian of Norwich hosted by Pastor Christine Kumar, 4/24 at church from 10:00 AM-noon OR 4/29 via Zoom from 7:00-8:00 PM
Children/Youth Classes and Meetings
- Religious Education Grades Pre-K to Kindergarten. Monday nights 6:30-7:30 PM via Zoom.
- Religious Education Grades 1-5. Tuesday nights 6:30-7:30 PM via Zoom.
- Youth Group Grades 6-12. Sunday nights at 5:00 PM
Adult Classes and Meetings
- Tower Class. Sunday mornings at 8:30 AM via Zoom.
- Christians Under Construction. Sunday mornings at 9:00 AM via Zoom.
- Coffee & Conversation with a Pastor. Wednesday Mornings at 9:00 AM. Join the weekly gatherings via Zoom.
- Men’s Bible Study. Thursday mornings at 7:00 AM via Zoom.
Towson Church Cares About YOU!
If you, or someone you know, is experiencing hardship or hospitalization, then please contact our Church Office ASAP to notify the pastors and Congregational Care Team. During this time of physical distancing, we are doing our best to stay connected with everyone – which is definitely a challenge! Also, our Congregational Care Committee will confidentially help with prayers and any other individual needs as coronavirus physical-distancing guidelines allow. Note: we are not visiting any members at this time. CALL 410.823.6511 (select option #3) and we will respond promptly.
Calling all Campers (and Parents)! The United Methodist Baltimore-Washington Conference is hosting Summer Camp at Manidokin and West River this year. Does your child enjoy playing games, splashing in the pool, singing around a campfire, making crafts, paddling on the river and roasting s’mores? If so, then camping might be a great summer getaway. Yes! The camp sites will look a bit different due to COVID-19 precautions. But, safety is a top priority! Check out the possibilities on the conference website HERE. Contact Pastor Christine Kumar HERE if your child or youth is interested in camping and if your family is seeking a needs-based scholarship. Pastor Christine has all the details to apply!
- 4/24 Restorative Retreat on Julian of Norwich hosted by Pastor Christine Kumar at church from 10:00 AM-noon
- 4/25 Sunday Worship in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM
- 4/29 Restorative Retreat on Julian of Norwich hosted by Pastor Christine Kumar via Zoom from 7:00-8:00 PM
- 5/1 Spring Plant Sale on church lawn, 9:00-11:00 AM
- 5/2 Sunday Worship in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM
- 5/2 SPRING FLING ’21 — Plant Sale, Araminta FUN Walk, Pop-Up Fundraiser, and Refreshments on the lawn, beginning at 11:00 AM
- 5/2 Spring Plant Sale on church lawn after 10:15 AM worship, 11:00 AM- 1:00 PM
- 5/2 Refreshments on the Front Lawn after 10:15 AM worship, 11:00 AM
- 5/2 Araminta Freedom FUN Walk/Unrun in Church Lot walk or sit with our annual Towson Church Race Team, beginning at 11:30 AM
- 5/9 Sunday Worship & Mother’s Day in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM
- 5/16 Sunday Worship in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM
- 5/23 Sunday Worship in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM
- 5/23 Refreshments on the Front Lawn after 10:15 AM worship at 11:00 AM
- 5/30 Sunday Worship in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM
The Save-A-Seat link is the SAME link each week, so you may consider setting it as a bookmark in your browser or on your desktop for easy access. Or, simply connect from the main page of our website. To reserve your seat for in-person worship, follow this link each week: Save-A-Seat.
Walk Against Human Trafficking
Join our Towson Church Araminta Freedom Initiative’s Race Against Traffick Team as we host our very own FUN Walk/Unrun in the church parking lot! Register online before May 1 to support Araminta https://runsignup.com/RaceGroups/57798/Groups/917655.
Wear your team race shirt on May 2 to the 10:15 AM worship for a special blessing, then walk with us OR bring a lawn chair and cheer for the team!
Walk begins at 11:30 AM. All walkers, runners, and unrunners are invited to participate! More info: 410.823.6511
It’s that time of year when we celebrate ALL the graduates of our congregation!
If you (or a family member) are a 2021 graduate, then please send your graduate information and photo to Maryanne Arthur, Marketing & Communications Director, by May 16. Be sure to include the graduate’s full name, current school, degree/specialty, and next steps in your email note.
We can’t wait to celebrate YOU during worship in June (date TBD)!
Emergency Food Pantry Monthly
Our Food Pantry continues as a monthly DRIVE-THRU from 9:00-10:30 AM on the third Saturday of each month. (NOTE: November 13 and December 11 dates later this year are the second Saturday.) Thanks to everyone who maintains this mission as a safe, physically-distant, Drive-By Pantry. Our church has been blessed with several incredibly-generous community donations in recent months. During these winter months, guests may call the HOTLINE at 410.823.3649 and listen to a recorded message regarding inclement weather changes or cancellations.
April Moment on a Mission: Araminta Freedom Initiative
Araminta focuses on the sex trafficking of minors within the United States, with the mission to mobilize entire communities through the use of volunteers to overcome trafficking. For more specific information, check out www.aramintafreedom.org. And, see above for more details about our annual Towson Church RACE team for this spring — Register HERE to join our church’s team and support Araminta’s initiatives!! Join us on church campus on May 2 for a FUN WALK or Unrun. OR, Run/Don’t Run anytime at home the week of May 2 to May 8, 2021.
To give now, click HERE to use a credit card or online payments. Or, make a monetary donation via check payable to Towson Church and indicate it’s for the monthly communion offering. Mail your check to Towson Church, 501 Hampton Lane, Towson, MD 21286.
Prayer Shawl Gathers Twice a Month
Our Prayer Shawl Ministry is stitching away — twice a month via Zoom. Mark your calendars for the first Wednesday of each month from 6:00–8:00 PM and the third Tuesday of each month from 9:00–11:00 AM. Call the church office for contact information and the Zoom links. Can’t wait to see you (and all your handmade projects) soon! 410.823.6511
Help us spark and sustain the missions and ministries of Towson Church with these easy ways to GIVE.
- Shop Online at Amazon SMILE
When you shop at Amazon Smile and select Towson UMC at checkout, our church receives a donation from Amazon for every single purchase. This passive income significantly contributes to our church’s general fund. Click on the link and try it today!
- Mail Your Offering, Fundraiser Payments, and Other Checks
Send your offering checks and other financial correspondence to the Church Office at Towson Church, 501 Hampton Lane, Towson, MD 21286 and we will process them swiftly.
- Donate Online
Visit the new Shelby online giving site HERE. Select from the named options or choose “Other” and write the activity/donation/event name you want to support in the memo line next to the amount.
- Questions? Contact Kim Ayres, our Business Office Manager.
High Spire Summer Content DEADLINE May 1
What is your committee, group or ministry planning this summer at Towson Church? Let us know ASAP! Our summer newsletter is right around the corner (and so are brighter, warmer, lazier summer days)!! All content and photos are due by May 1 for a June 1 release date. Send your information to Maryanne Arthur via the communications email. Or call the church office to leave a message 410.823.6511. Spread the word.
He has told you, O mortal, what is good;
and what does the Lord require of you
but to do justice, and to love kindness,
and to walk humbly with your God?
— Micah 6:8
Thank you for making Towson Church your church home. We’re glad you are here!
Welcome Statement: Towson United Methodist Church is a community of Christ-followers growing in love of God and neighbor. This is what we, at Towson UMC, believe Christian discipleship is, what we are to be, and what Jesus meant when he sent his followers to “make disciples”— We believe every person is of sacred worth and created in God’s image. We commit to Jesus’ example of inclusive love, care, and intentional hospitality with persons of every race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, faith story, physical or mental ability, economic status, or political perspective. We respect our diversity of opinion and expressions of faith. Therefore, as God loves us, so let us love and serve in the name of Christ. — adopted by the Towson UMC Church Council February 2, 2015
You are receiving information and inspiration because you are connected to Towson United Methodist Church.
© 2018-2021, Towson United Methodist Church/Towson Church, all rights reserved. Volume 4. Issue 91
Towson Church : 501 Hampton Lane, Towson MD 21286 : 410.823.6511 : www.towsonchurch.org