A weekly publication of Towson Church — May 7, 2021
Connect with Us
Happy Mother’s Day weekend! Thank you for following our COVID-19 safety procedures to keep us all safe and healthy — and to ensure our church continues its vital missions and ministry work!
What’s happening this weekend?
- Sunday – May 9, 2021 at Towson Church
- 10:15 AM Worship Join us for in-person, livestream, and recorded worship. To attend in-person worship, save your seat HERE. Or, stop at the Welcome Desk upon arrival. Wear a face mask and maintain physical distance. You may also worship via livestream from home at 10:15 AM or another time on YouTube HERE.
- 11:00 – 11:30 AM LAST CHANCE! Plant Sale Great gift options for Mother’s Day or a sweet present for yourself!
- Weekly Offering Donate any time by using our easy, secure donation site HERE. Or, send contributions through the U.S. Mail to Towson Church, 501 Hampton Lane, Towson, MD 21286.
YOUTH GROUP GRADES 6-12
- May PHOTO CONTEST with “hope” and “heroes” themes. Contest details and submission form, click this link: Youth Photo Contest Submission Guidelines 2021 FINAL
- May 9: Mother’s Day, no youth group
- May 16: 5:00- 6:15 PM, Bible Study and pizza outside church
- May 23: 5:00-6:00 PM, Make posters for a special event at church
- May 30: Memorial Day weekend, no youth group
Contact Associate Pastor Christine Kumar in the Church Office at 410.823.6511 for information.
Call the Church Office at 410.823.6511 for information.
Children/Youth Classes and Meetings
- NEW! Pray ‘n Play RETURNS May 16, in-person program during 10:15 AM Sunday worship. Registration required for ages 4-6. Submit these two completed forms to email@example.com Children Registration Form — Summer 2021Fillable and PARENT REGISTRATION FORM 2021 fillable
- Religious Education Grades Pre-K to Kindergarten. Monday nights 6:30-7:30 PM via Zoom.
- Religious Education Grades 1-5. Tuesday nights 6:30-7:30 PM via Zoom.
- Youth Group Grades 6-12. Sunday nights at 5:00 PM
Adult Classes and Meetings
- Tower Class. Sunday mornings at 8:30 AM via Zoom.
- Christians Under Construction. Sunday mornings at 9:00 AM via Zoom.
- Coffee & Conversation with a Pastor. Wednesday Mornings at 9:00 AM. Join the weekly gatherings via Zoom.
- Men’s Bible Study. Thursday mornings at 7:00 AM. Meet at the Nautilus Diner on York Road.
Towson Church Cares About YOU!
If you, or someone you know, is experiencing hardship or hospitalization, then please contact our Church Office ASAP to notify the pastors and Congregational Care Team. During this time of physical distancing, we are doing our best to stay connected with everyone – which is definitely a challenge! Also, our Congregational Care Committee will confidentially help with prayers and any other individual needs as coronavirus physical-distancing guidelines allow. Note: we are not visiting any members at this time. CALL 410.823.6511 (select option #3) and we will respond promptly.
CHURCH OFFICE RE-OPENING
Our church office is now open to the public again on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays each week from 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM. If you’d like to visit with a pastor or staff member, then please call the main office to make an appointment. All visitors should enter by the front door and sign in at the Welcome Desk. Face masks and physical distance REQUIRED inside the building at all times. Questions? 410.823.6511.
Calling all Campers (and Parents)! The United Methodist Baltimore-Washington Conference is hosting Summer Camp at Manidokin and West River this year. Does your child enjoy playing games, splashing in the pool, singing around a campfire, making crafts, paddling on the river and roasting s’mores? If so, then camping might be a great summer getaway. Yes! The camp sites will look a bit different due to COVID-19 precautions. But, safety is a top priority! Check out the possibilities on the conference website HERE. Contact Pastor Christine Kumar HERE if your child or youth is interested in camping and if your family is seeking a needs-based scholarship. Pastor Christine has all the details to apply!
Stitchin’ with the Prayer Shawl Ministry
Join our Prayer Shawl group as they resume in-person indoor meetings at church twice each month: first Wednesday of the month from 6:00-8:00 PM and the third Tuesday from 10:00 AM to Noon. Bring your current project, start a new one, pick up yarn, learn a new stitch, meet creative friends, and come ready to knit or crochet. All levels of experience welcome!
- NEW! Church Office OPEN to the public on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday each week, 10:00 AM -3:00 PM
- 5/9 Sunday Worship & Mother’s Day in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM
- 5/16 Sunday Worship & Teacher Recognition in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM
- 5/16 Pray ‘n Play RETURNS during 10:15 AM in-person worship for ages 4-6
- 5/23 Sunday Worship in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM
- 5/23 Refreshments on the Front Lawn after 10:15 AM worship at 11:00 AM
- 5/30 Sunday Worship in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM
The Save-A-Seat link is the SAME link each week, so you may consider setting it as a bookmark in your browser or on your desktop for easy access. Or, simply connect from the main page of our website. To reserve your seat for in-person worship, follow this link each week: Save-A-Seat.
Walking Together Against Human Trafficking
Our One-Mile FUN WALK at church was a blast last weekend! It was such a hot day at nearly 90 degrees – but our Youth Group and other team members walked the full mile together in solidarity to support Araminta Freedom Initiative’s Race Against Traffick 2021 event. Thank you to all those who walked, ran, cheered, and chilled out for the Walk and Unrun – either at church or home! Special thanks to District Superintendent Rev. Wanda Bynum Duckett, who surprised us by walking with the Towson Church Team!
It’s that time of year when we celebrate ALL the graduates of our congregation!
If you (or a family member) are a 2021 graduate, then please send your graduate information and photo to Maryanne Arthur, Marketing & Communications Director, by May 16. Be sure to include the graduate’s full name, current school, degree/specialty, and next steps in your email note.
We can’t wait to celebrate YOU during worship on June 13!
Help us spark and sustain the missions and ministries of Towson Church with these easy ways to GIVE.
- Shop Online at Amazon SMILE
When you shop at Amazon Smile and select Towson UMC at checkout, our church receives a donation from Amazon for every single purchase. This passive income significantly contributes to our church’s general fund. Click on the link and try it today!
- Mail Your Offering, Fundraiser Payments, and Other Checks
Send your offering checks and other financial correspondence to the Church Office at Towson Church, 501 Hampton Lane, Towson, MD 21286 and we will process them swiftly.
- Donate Online
Visit the new Shelby online giving site HERE. Select from the named options or choose “Other” and write the activity/donation/event name you want to support in the memo line next to the amount.
- Questions? Contact Kim Ayres, our Business Office Manager.
Emergency Food Pantry Monthly
Our Food Pantry continues as a monthly DRIVE-THRU from 9:00-10:30 AM on the third Saturday of each month. (NOTE: November 13 and December 11 dates later this year are the second Saturday.) Thanks to everyone who maintains this mission as a safe, physically-distant, Drive-By Pantry. Our church has been blessed with several incredibly-generous community donations in recent months. During these winter months, guests may call the HOTLINE at 410.823.3649 and listen to a recorded message regarding inclement weather changes or cancellations.
May Moment on a Mission: UMCOR
UMCOR Sunday (formerly One Great Hour of Sharing) is a series of six churchwide Special Sunday offerings in The United Methodist Church. UMCOR Sundays call United Methodists to share the goodness of life with those who hurt. Your gifts to UMCOR Sunday lay the foundation for the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) to share God’s love with communities everywhere. The special offering underwrites UMCOR’s “costs of doing business.” This helps UMCOR to keep the promise that 100 percent of any gift to a specific UMCOR project will go toward that project, not administrative costs.
What is UMCOR?
UMCOR is the humanitarian arm of The United Methodist Church. UMCOR’s work reaches people in more than 80 countries, including the United States. UMCOR provides humanitarian relief when war, conflict or natural disaster disrupts life to such an extent that communities cannot recover on their own. Learn more at www.umcor.org.
To give now, click HERE to use a credit card or online payments. Or, make a monetary donation via check payable to Towson Church and indicate it’s for the monthly communion offering. Mail your check to Towson Church, 501 Hampton Lane, Towson, MD 21286.
Men’s Bible Study: Eat, Greet & Pray
Join the Men’s Bible Study group as they resume in-person indoor meetings at the Nautilus Diner on York Road — every Thursday morning at 7:00 AM in May.
Pastor Mark Johnson is the contact. All are welcome!
If we merge mercy with might, and might with right, then love becomes our legacy. — Amanda Gorman, American poet
Whether you are a mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, aunt, sister, bonus mom, pet mom, friend mom, or a mother figure to special folks in your life, YOU are precious in the Lord’s eyes. And your selfless love will become your legacy.
Thank you for making Towson Church your church home. We’re glad you are here!
Welcome Statement: Towson United Methodist Church is a community of Christ-followers growing in love of God and neighbor. This is what we, at Towson UMC, believe Christian discipleship is, what we are to be, and what Jesus meant when he sent his followers to “make disciples”— We believe every person is of sacred worth and created in God’s image. We commit to Jesus’ example of inclusive love, care, and intentional hospitality with persons of every race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, faith story, physical or mental ability, economic status, or political perspective. We respect our diversity of opinion and expressions of faith. Therefore, as God loves us, so let us love and serve in the name of Christ. — adopted by the Towson UMC Church Council February 2, 2015
You are receiving information and inspiration because you are connected to Towson United Methodist Church.
© 2018-2021, Towson United Methodist Church/Towson Church, all rights reserved. Volume 4. Issue 93
Towson Church : 501 Hampton Lane, Towson MD 21286 : 410.823.6511 : www.towsonchurch.org