A weekly publication of Towson Church — May 28, 2021
Connect with Us
Congrats to our Youth Group and Araminta Race Team members who walked a mile in HOT Baltimore weather to support Araminta Freedom Initiative this month! Due to coronavirus restrictions, the local, organized race was virtual, so our team walked around the church campus during Spring Fling. What a glorious day! Special thanks to Caroline and Julia Schnur for organizing, to Pastor Mark for officiating the race, to Pastor Christine for rallying Youth Group members, and District Superintendent Rev. Dr. Wanda Bynum Duckett for surprising us and walking with the team!
Once again, thank you for following our COVID-19 safety procedures to keep us all safe and healthy — and to ensure our church continues its vital missions and ministry work!
What’s happening this weekend?
- Memorial Day Weekend – Sunday May 30, 2021 at Towson Church
- 10:15 AM Worship Join us for in-person, livestream, and recorded worship. To attend in-person worship, save your seat HERE. Or, stop at the Welcome Desk upon arrival. Wear a face mask and maintain physical distance. You may also worship via livestream from home at 10:15 AM or another time on YouTube HERE.
- 10:15 – 11:00 AM PRAY & PLAY Bring your children, ages 4-6, to our Pray & Play group for Bible stories, activities, and movement during worship. Registration required (see info below). All teachers are safe-sanctuary approved!
- NO Youth Group Enjoy the holiday weekend!
- Weekly Offering Donate any time by using our easy, secure donation site HERE. Or, send contributions through the U.S. Mail to Towson Church, 501 Hampton Lane, Towson, MD 21286.
PHOTO CREDIT: Maryanne Arthur
YOUTH GROUP GRADES 6-12
- PHOTO CONTEST with “hope” and “heroes” themes. Contest details and submission form, click this link: Youth Photo Contest Submission Guidelines 2021 FINAL Submission deadline extended to July 30, 2021.
- May 30: Memorial Day weekend, no youth group
- June 6: Game Day, 5:00 PM on church lawn
- June 13: Family Hike & Hang Out, 5:00 PM Meet at NCR Trail in the parking lot of Paper Mill Road. Hike and/or bike together. Cool off afterward with outdoor refreshments at Mrs. Stephanie Kimmons’ home. More details will be sent to Youth Group families via email.TBD We will meet a few times this summer for fun activities and learning! Check your emails for dates and times and details.
Contact Associate Pastor Christine Kumar in the Church Office at 410.823.6511 for information.
Call the Church Office at 410.823.6511 for information.
SUMMER 2021 — Teachers will take a much-deserved rest! Adult, Children and Youth Classes will end the last week in May and resume mid-September. Only Sunday morning Pray & Play and the Tower Class will continue to meet during summer months. Enjoy the summer!
Children/Youth Classes and Meetings
- Pray ‘n Play, in-person program during 10:15 AM Sunday worship. Registration required for ages 4-6. Submit these two completed forms to Kim Ayres via EMAIL — 1. Children Registration Form — Summer 2021Fillable and 2. PARENT REGISTRATION FORM 2021 fillable
- Religious Education Grades Pre-K to Kindergarten. Monday nights 6:30-7:30 PM via Zoom. NOTE: 5/31 Memorial Day Holiday Break NO Children’s Education
- Religious Education Grades 1-5. Tuesday nights 6:30-7:30 PM via Zoom.
- NOTE: 6/1 Memorial Day Holiday Break NO Children’s Education
- Youth Group Grades 6-12. Sunday nights at 5:00 PM
Adult Classes and Meetings
- Tower Class. Sunday mornings at 8:30 AM via Zoom.
- Christians Under Construction. Sunday mornings at 9:00 AM via Zoom.
- Coffee & Conversation with a Pastor. Wednesday Mornings at 9:00 AM. Join the weekly gatherings via Zoom.
- Men’s Bible Study. Thursday mornings at 7:00 AM. Meet at the Nautilus Diner on York Road.
Towson Church Cares About YOU!
If you, or someone you know, is experiencing hardship or hospitalization, then please contact our Church Office ASAP to notify the pastors and Congregational Care Team. During this time of physical distancing, we are doing our best to stay connected with everyone – which is definitely a challenge! Also, our Congregational Care Committee will confidentially help with prayers and any other individual needs as coronavirus physical-distancing guidelines allow. Note: we are not visiting any members at this time. CALL 410.823.6511 (select option #3) and we will respond promptly.
CHURCH OFFICE IS OPEN!
Our church office is now open to the public again on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays each week from 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM. All visitors should ring the front door bell, enter by the front door, and sign in at the Welcome Desk. Face masks and physical distance REQUIRED inside the building at all times. NOTE: If you’d like to visit with a pastor or staff member, then please call the main office and make an appointment to ensure a connection. Questions? 410.823.6511.
Calling all Campers (and Parents)! The United Methodist Baltimore-Washington Conference is hosting Summer Camp at Manidokin and West River this year. Does your child enjoy playing games, splashing in the pool, singing around a campfire, making crafts, paddling on the river and roasting s’mores? If so, then camping might be a great summer getaway. Yes! The camp sites will look a bit different due to COVID-19 precautions. But, safety is a top priority! Check out the possibilities on the conference website HERE. Contact Pastor Christine Kumar HERE if your child or youth is interested in camping and if your family is seeking a needs-based scholarship. Pastor Christine has all the details to apply!
Stitchin’ with the Prayer Shawl Ministry
Join our Prayer Shawl group as they resume in-person indoor meetings at church twice each month: first Wednesday of the month from 6:00-8:00 PM and the third Tuesday from 10:00 AM to Noon. Bring your current project, start a new one, pick up yarn, learn a new stitch, meet creative friends, and come ready to knit or crochet. All levels of experience welcome!
- 5/30 Memorial Day Sunday Worship in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM.
- 5/31 Memorial Day Church Office CLOSED
- 5/31 and 6/1 Memorial Day Holiday Break NO Children’s Education Classes
- 6/6 Communion Sunday Worship in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM.
- 6/6 Drive By Goodbye for Pastor Mark Johnson, 11:00 AM in front circle
- 6/13 Sunday Worship & Graduate Recognition in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM.
- 6/13 Wheelie Fun & Friends FREE Children’s Event, 1:30-3:00 PM.
- 6/20 Father’s Day Sunday Worship in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM.
- 6/27 Sunday Worship in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM.
- 7/1 Pastor Stephanie White joins our Towson Church community
- 7/11 Sunday Worship – Pastor White PREACHES! in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM.
- 7/11 Pastor White Meet & Greet on the front lawn, 11:00 AM.
- July & August Thursday Nights “Walk in the Light” Summer Picnics, 6:00-7:30 PM.
The Save-A-Seat link is the SAME link each week, so you may consider setting it as a bookmark in your browser or on your desktop for easy access. Or, simply connect from the main page of our website. To reserve your seat for in-person worship, follow this link each week: Save-A-Seat.
It is never too early to plan summer activities! Mark your calendars NOW for our fun and FREE summer nights on the front lawn. Food, friendship, walking, children’s activities and dessert. What could be better?! JOIN US!!!
Click HERE for the full summer scoop.
Help us spark and sustain the missions and ministries of Towson Church with these easy ways to GIVE.
- Shop Online at Amazon SMILE
When you shop at Amazon Smile and select Towson UMC at checkout, our church receives a donation from Amazon for every single purchase. This passive income significantly contributes to our church’s general fund. Click on the link and try it today!
- Mail Your Offering, Fundraiser Payments, and Other Checks
Send your offering checks and other financial correspondence to the Church Office at Towson Church, 501 Hampton Lane, Towson, MD 21286 and we will process them swiftly.
- Donate Online
Visit the new Shelby online giving site HERE. Select from the named options or choose “Other” and write the activity/donation/event name you want to support in the memo line next to the amount.
- Questions? Contact Kim Ayres, our Business Office Manager.
Emergency Food Pantry Monthly
Our Food Pantry continues as a monthly DRIVE-THRU from 9:00-10:30 AM on the third Saturday of each month. (NOTE: November 13 and December 11 dates later this year are the second Saturday.) Thanks to everyone who maintains this mission as a safe, physically-distant, Drive-By Pantry. Our church has been blessed with several incredibly-generous community donations in recent months. To donate nonperishable food items, bring your groceries to the church lobby on Mondays, Tuesdays, or Wednesdays from 10 AM- 3:00 PM or on Sunday mornings between 10:00-11:00 AM.
Guests may call the HOTLINE at 410.823.3649 and listen to a recorded message regarding any schedule changes or cancellations.
May Moment on a Mission: UMCOR
UMCOR Sunday (formerly One Great Hour of Sharing) is a series of six churchwide Special Sunday offerings in The United Methodist Church. UMCOR Sundays call United Methodists to share the goodness of life with those who hurt. Your gifts to UMCOR Sunday lay the foundation for the United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) to share God’s love with communities everywhere. The special offering underwrites UMCOR’s “costs of doing business.” This helps UMCOR to keep the promise that 100 percent of any gift to a specific UMCOR project will go toward that project, not administrative costs.
What is UMCOR?
UMCOR is the humanitarian arm of The United Methodist Church. UMCOR’s work reaches people in more than 80 countries, including the United States. UMCOR provides humanitarian relief when war, conflict or natural disaster disrupts life to such an extent that communities cannot recover on their own. Learn more at www.umcor.org.
To give now, click HERE to use a credit card or online payments. Or, make a monetary donation via check payable to Towson Church and indicate it’s for the monthly communion offering. Mail your check to Towson Church, 501 Hampton Lane, Towson, MD 21286.
Men’s Bible Study: Eat, Greet & Pray
Join the Men’s Bible Study group at the Nautilus Diner on York Road — every Thursday morning at 7:00 AM in June.
Pastor Mark Johnson is the contact. All are welcome!
A Kindergarten teacher was observing her classroom as the children drew pictures. The teacher would occasionally walk around and see each child’s artwork. As she approached one little girl who was working especially hard, she asked what the drawing was.
The little girl told her: “I’m drawing God!”
“But sweety,” the teacher replied, “no one actually knows what God looks like.”
Automatically, the little girl continued drawing and said: “well, they certainly will in a minute!”
Stuck in a rut? Three Practices for Contentment
There are times in our lives when the lemons we are handed seem too bitter to transform into a sweet summer elixir. It’s not always easy to re-frame our thinking. But it can be done! In fact, our brains continue to develop new pathways every day. Believe it or not, we can choose to think positively and create a sense of peacefulness or contentment. How is this possible? Try these three suggestions for pulling yourself out of a temporary rut.
1. Change your attitude and perspective. 2. Take some kind of positive action. 3. Do something that gives you meaning.
For more ideas, take a peek at writer Leo Babauta’s life-changing habit ideas at www.zenhabits.com. Then, pour yourself a tall glass of refreshing lemonade. And enjoy a sweet sip.
Thank you for making Towson Church your church home. We’re glad you are here!
Welcome Statement: Towson United Methodist Church is a community of Christ-followers growing in love of God and neighbor. This is what we, at Towson UMC, believe Christian discipleship is, what we are to be, and what Jesus meant when he sent his followers to “make disciples”— We believe every person is of sacred worth and created in God’s image. We commit to Jesus’ example of inclusive love, care, and intentional hospitality with persons of every race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, faith story, physical or mental ability, economic status, or political perspective. We respect our diversity of opinion and expressions of faith. Therefore, as God loves us, so let us love and serve in the name of Christ. — adopted by the Towson UMC Church Council February 2, 2015
You are receiving information and inspiration because you are connected to Towson United Methodist Church.
© 2018-2021, Towson United Methodist Church/Towson Church, all rights reserved. Volume 4. Issue 96
Towson Church : 501 Hampton Lane, Towson MD 21286 : 410.823.6511 : www.towsonchurch.org