A weekly publication of Towson Church — June 11, 2021
Connect with Us
This is a busy weekend at Towson Church. On Sunday, we’re hosting multiple events for all ages. Don’t miss the FUN!
Congratulations to all 2021 graduates and their families! Come to Sunday worship (or join us online) and celebrate everyone’s amazing accomplishments. Then, bring your youngsters (Ages 3-11) to the Wheelie Fun & Friends event in the parking lot from 1:30-3:00 PM. And, hike with Youth Group at 5:00 PM. Watch the church Facebook page for any rain updates or cancellations!
Thank you for wearing face masks and maintaining physical distancing indoors. Following our COVID-19 safety procedures helps keep us all safe and healthy — and ensures our church continues its vital missions and ministry work!
What’s happening this Sunday June 13, 2021?
- Graduate Sunday at Towson Church: Ukulele Choir Performs!
- 10:15 AM Worship Join us for in-person, livestream, and recorded worship. To attend in-person worship, save your seat HERE. Or, stop at the Welcome Desk upon arrival. Wear a face mask and maintain physical distance. Celebrate our 2021 graduates! You may also worship via livestream from home at 10:15 AM or another time on YouTube HERE.
- 10:15 – 11:00 AM PRAY & PLAY Bring your children, ages 4-6, to our Pray & Play group for Bible stories, activities, and movement during worship. Registration required (see info below). All teachers are safe-sanctuary approved!
- Wheelie Fun & Friends Event in church parking lot, 1:30-3:00 PM
- Youth Group Hike & Picnic off-site, 5:00 PM+ RSVP Required to Pastor Christine.
- Weekly Offering Donate any time by using our easy, secure donation site HERE. Or, send contributions through the U.S. Mail to Towson Church, 501 Hampton Lane, Towson, MD 21286.
PHOTO CREDIT: Maryanne Arthur
YOUTH GROUP GRADES 6-12
- PHOTO CONTEST with “Hope” and “Heroes” themes. Contest details and submission form, click this link: Youth Photo Contest Submission Guidelines 2021 FINAL Submission deadline extended to July 30, 2021.
- June 13: Family Hike & Hang Out, 5:00 PM Meet at NCR Trail in the parking lot off Paper Mill Road. Hike and/or bike together. Cool off afterward with outdoor refreshments at Mrs. Stephanie Kimmons’ home. More details will be sent to Youth Group families via email. RSVP Required!
- TBD We will meet a few times this summer for fun activities and learning! Check your emails for dates and times and details.
Contact Associate Pastor Christine Kumar in the Church Office at 410.823.6511 for information.
Call the Church Office at 410.823.6511 for information.
SUMMER 2021 — Teachers will take a much-deserved rest! Adult, Children and Youth Classes will end the last week in May and resume mid-September. Only Sunday morning Pray & Play and the Tower Class will continue to meet during summer months. Enjoy the summer!
Children/Youth Classes and Meetings
- Summer Pray ‘n Play, in-person program during 10:15 AM Sunday worship. Registration required for ages 4-6. Submit these two completed forms to Kim Ayres via EMAIL — 1. Children Registration Form — Summer 2021Fillable and 2. PARENT REGISTRATION FORM 2021 fillable
- Religious Education Grades Pre-K to Kindergarten. Monday nights 6:30-7:30 PM via Zoom.
- Religious Education Grades 1-5. Tuesday nights 6:30-7:30 PM via Zoom.
- Youth Group Grades 6-12. Sunday nights at 5:00 PM
Adult Classes and Meetings
- Tower Class. Sunday mornings at 8:30 AM via Zoom.
- Christians Under Construction. Sunday mornings at 9:00 AM via Zoom.
- Coffee & Conversation with a Pastor. Wednesday Mornings at 9:00 AM. Join the weekly gatherings via Zoom.
- Men’s Bible Study. Thursday mornings at 7:00 AM. Meet at the Nautilus Diner on York Road.
Towson Church Cares About YOU!
If you, or someone you know, is experiencing hardship or hospitalization, then please contact our Church Office ASAP to notify the pastors and Congregational Care Team. During this time of physical distancing, we are doing our best to stay connected with everyone – which is definitely a challenge! Also, our Congregational Care Committee will confidentially help with prayers and any other individual needs as coronavirus physical-distancing guidelines allow. Note: we are not visiting any members at this time. CALL 410.823.6511 (select option #3) and we will respond promptly.
CHURCH OFFICE SUMMER HOURS
Our church office is open to the public on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays each week from 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM. All visitors should ring the front door bell, enter by the front door, and sign in at the Welcome Desk. Face masks and physical distance REQUIRED inside the building at all times. NOTE: If you’d like to visit with a pastor or staff member, then please call the main office and make an appointment to ensure a connection. Questions? 410.823.6511.
Calling all Campers (and Parents)! The United Methodist Baltimore-Washington Conference is hosting Summer Camp at Manidokin and West River this year. Does your child enjoy playing games, splashing in the pool, singing around a campfire, making crafts, paddling on the river and roasting s’mores? If so, then camping might be a great summer getaway. Yes! The camp sites will look a bit different due to COVID-19 precautions. But, safety is a top priority! Check out the possibilities on the conference website HERE. Contact Pastor Christine Kumar HERE if your child or youth is interested in camping and if your family is seeking a needs-based scholarship. Pastor Christine has all the details to apply!
Stitchin’ with the Prayer Shawl Ministry
Join our Prayer Shawl group to stitch together in-person at church twice each month: first Wednesday of the month from 6:00-8:00 PM and the third Tuesday from 10:00 AM to Noon. Bring your current project, start a new one, pick up yarn, learn a new stitch, meet creative friends, and come ready to knit or crochet. All levels of experience welcome!
- 6/20 Father’s Day Sunday Worship in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM
- 6/27 Pastor Mark Johnson’s FINAL Sunday Worship in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM
- 7/1 Pastor Stephanie White joins our Towson Church community
- 7/4 Sunday Worship – Pastor Christine Kumar Preaches in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM
- 7/11 Sunday Worship – Pastor Stephanie White PREACHES! in-person, livestreamed, and recorded, 10:15 AM
- 7/11 Pastor White Meet & Greet on the front lawn, 11:00 AM
- July 8 thru August 26 Thursday Nights “Walk in the Light” Summer Picnics, 6:00-7:30 PM
The Save-A-Seat link is the SAME link each week, so you may consider setting it as a bookmark in your browser or on your desktop for easy access. Or, simply connect from the main page of our website. To reserve your seat for in-person worship, follow this link each week: Save-A-Seat.
SUMMER ’21 High Spire is HERE!
The summer issue of our print newsletter High Spire is in the mail and available for your reading pleasure. ENJOY!
Get Ready for Summer FUN!
It is never too early to plan summer activities! Mark your calendars NOW for our fun and FREE summer nights on the front lawn. Food, friendship, walking, children’s activities and dessert. What could be better?! JOIN US!!!
Click HERE for the full summer scoop.
Help us spark and sustain the missions and ministries of Towson Church with these easy ways to GIVE.
- Shop Online at Amazon SMILE
When you shop at Amazon Smile and select Towson UMC at checkout, our church receives a donation from Amazon for every single purchase. This passive income significantly contributes to our church’s general fund. Click on the link and try it today!
- Mail Your Offering, Fundraiser Payments, and Other Checks
Send your offering checks and other financial correspondence to the Church Office at Towson Church, 501 Hampton Lane, Towson, MD 21286 and we will process them swiftly.
- Donate Online
Visit the new Shelby online giving site HERE. Select from the named options or choose “Other” and write the activity/donation/event name you want to support in the memo line next to the amount.
- Questions? Contact Kim Ayres, our Business Office Manager.
Emergency Food Pantry Monthly
Our Food Pantry continues as a monthly DRIVE-THRU from 9:00-10:30 AM on the third Saturday of each month. (NOTE: November 13 and December 11 dates later this year are the second Saturday.) Thanks to everyone who maintains this mission as a safe, physically-distant, Drive-By Pantry. Our church has been blessed with several incredibly-generous community donations in recent months. To donate nonperishable food items, bring your groceries to the church lobby on Mondays, Tuesdays, or Wednesdays from 10 AM- 3:00 PM or on Sunday mornings between 10:00-11:00 AM.
FOOD ITEMS NEEDED:
- Granola Bars
- Can Chili
- Chunky Soups
- Pork n Beans
- Mac n Cheese
- 10 oz. Soups
- “Can” Spaghetti Sauce – No Glass, Please
- 1 lb. Spaghetti Noodles
- Green Beans, Peas, Corn
- Can Ravioli/Beef/Spaghetti
Guests may call the HOTLINE at 410.823.3649 and listen to a recorded message regarding any schedule changes or cancellations.
June Moment on a Mission: Earl’s Place
Cornerstone Community Housing is a community and faith-based 501(c) (3) nonprofit with a twofold mission. The organization is dedicated to helping men experiencing homelessness rebuild their lives and to changing attitudes toward homelessness through outreach and education. Cornerstone manages Earl’s Place in Baltimore, MD and Prospect Place in Rosedale, MD. Our church will support Earl’s Place in the month of June.
Earl’s Place provides 17 men with a stable address, and a place to receive mail and phone calls. Perhaps most importantly, Earl’s Place is a place to call ‘home.’ Concerns such as having a clean, safe place to sleep, shower and keep their belongings are alleviated. Case managers work with the men to develop goals and locate community services, such as housing, employment, education, healthcare and more.
To give now, click HERE to use a credit card or online payments. Or, make a monetary donation via check payable to Towson Church and indicate it’s for the monthly communion offering. Mail your check to Towson Church, 501 Hampton Lane, Towson, MD 21286.
Men’s Bible Study: Eat, Greet & Pray
Join the Men’s Bible Study group at the Nautilus Diner on York Road — every Thursday morning at 7:00 AM in June.
Pastor Mark Johnson is the contact. All are welcome!
God was talking to one of his angels. He said, “I just figured out how to rotate the Earth so it creates this really incredible 24-hour period of alternating light and darkness.”
The angel said, “What are you going to do now?”
God replied, “Call it a day.”
Joy or Happiness?
There is a difference between happiness and joy. The former is based on one’s current circumstances (such as good fortune or good health); the latter is based on one’s deep connections with, and trust in, God. Even in the midst of chaos and struggle, God is present, carrying us through the deep waters.
Think about what song always brightens your day [happiness] versus what thoughts carry you through pain, suffering, discomfort AND wellness, success, and comfort [joy].
Joy is an intentional state of being — in times of both struggle and success. It’s a connection of the heart and spirit to your awareness of God and the world around you.
Surround yourself with positive people. Appreciate the small things. Stop waiting to be happy. “Joy is strength,” exclaimed Mother Teresa of Avila. Rejoice!
Looking for a practical way to recognize all the joys in your life? Try a quick writing activity. Write all the things you are grateful for today that begin with each of the letters in the word GRATEFUL. Choose a specific topic (like family, health, work, etc.) or general appreciation. Make several different lists if the Spirit so moves you!
by Maryanne Arthur
Thank you for making Towson Church your church home. We’re glad you are here!
Welcome Statement: Towson United Methodist Church is a community of Christ-followers growing in love of God and neighbor. This is what we, at Towson UMC, believe Christian discipleship is, what we are to be, and what Jesus meant when he sent his followers to “make disciples”— We believe every person is of sacred worth and created in God’s image. We commit to Jesus’ example of inclusive love, care, and intentional hospitality with persons of every race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, faith story, physical or mental ability, economic status, or political perspective. We respect our diversity of opinion and expressions of faith. Therefore, as God loves us, so let us love and serve in the name of Christ. — adopted by the Towson UMC Church Council February 2, 2015
You are receiving information and inspiration because you are connected to Towson United Methodist Church.
© 2018-2021, Towson United Methodist Church/Towson Church, all rights reserved. Volume 4. Issue 98
Towson Church : 501 Hampton Lane, Towson MD 21286 : 410.823.6511 : www.towsonchurch.org