A weekly publication of Towson United Methodist Church — August 27, 2021
Dear Church Family,
The situation in Afghanistan is utterly heartbreaking. As you may know, I am the wife of a soldier and the sister of a retired Marine who spent time in Afghanistan. To see all that is happening there now is overwhelming for a lot of people, for a lot of reasons. And now to the heartbreak that was already there, we add the deaths of 12 servicemembers and Afghan citizens (including children). I am filled with grief and sadness.
There is much to lament right now.
My guess is that I am not alone in these feelings of grief and uncertainty, so I am inviting you to join me for prayer via Zoom on Sunday 8/29 at 7:00 PM. This will give anyone an opportunity to share their heartbreak over this situation or over COVID or any other situation you may be lamenting right now. This will not be a place to bring political arguments, theories, or comments. This is space for all of us, no matter our political persuasions, to lament together as a united body of Jesus-followers, and to cry out to God as we struggle.
The only thing you need to do to prepare for the meeting is have a candle and lighter available, if you wish.
Please keep our servicemembers and the situation in Afghanistan in your prayers.
Grace and peace to you,
Rev. Stephanie Roberts White
P.S. To join the scheduled Zoom meeting on Sunday night, visit the info page on our website — click HERE!
What’s Happening this Week?
Sunday August 29, 2021, 10:15 AM: NEW! Fall Sermon Series “Rhythm” with Pastor Stephanie Roberts White. Join us for in-person, livestream, and recorded worship. To attend in-person worship, save your seat HERE or stop at the Welcome Desk upon arrival. Watch the livestream at 10:15 AM or another time on YouTube HERE. Read the Weekly Bulletin.
- 10:15 – 11:00 AM PRAY & PLAY Children, ages 4-6, are invited to join our teachers after the Children’s Sermon during 10:15 AM worship. Children will meet in worship and move with the teachers to Pray & Play for Bible stories, activities, and movement for the remainder of worship. Registration required for classroom instruction (see info below). All teachers are safe-sanctuary approved!
Thank you for wearing face masks and maintaining physical distancing if you are not fully vaccinated or when you are around children on church campus. Also, as indoor church services are particularly vulnerable gathering places, we suggest all congregants wear masks as an additional precaution and do so out of love for one another. Following COVID-19 safety procedures helps keep us all safe and healthy — and ensures our church continues its vital missions and ministry work!
Call the Church Office at 410.823.6511 for more detailed information.
NOW! Summer Children/Youth/Adults — Ongoing enrollment. Join any time! Call the church office for contact info.
- Children Summer Pray ‘n Play, in-person program during 10:15 AM Sunday worship. Registration required (Ages 4-6). Submit these two completed forms to Kim Ayres via EMAIL — 1. Children Registration Form — Summer 2021Fillable and 2. PARENT REGISTRATION FORM 2021 fillable
- Youth Group Meetings/Bible Study TBD
- Adult Tower Class, Sunday mornings at 8:30 AM via Zoom
NEW!! One Day Book Study: Holy Grounds
- How did coffee blend itself smoothly into the lives of ancient people? And, into faith communities today? In this one-day book talk, we will explore all the perks of Holy Grounds: The Surprising Connection between Coffee and Faith – From Dancing Goat’s to Satan’s Drink by Tim Schenck (Fortress Press). Rev. Stephanie Roberts White will lead this lively conversation on Sunday, October 3, after worship. Enjoy free coffee and snacks! Bring your own copy of the book. You may purchase it at Cokesbury, Amazon, and other major booksellers. If you are unable to purchase or afford a copy of the book, then please contact the church office for assistance. RSVP to Pastor Stephanie via email HERE.
NEW! Christians Under Construction Book Study: “Five Marks of a Methodist” by Steve Harper
Join Rev. Stephanie Robert White for this reminder course about Johns Wesley’s five identifiers for Methodists. Sunday mornings at 9:00 AM from September 19 thru October 24, 2021 on church campus. No RSVP required. MORE INFO HERE!
NEW!! Online Bible Study: “WORDS OF LIFE” Jesus and the Promise of The Ten Commandments Today by Adam Hamilton
You are cordially invited to join Rev. Fred Crider in this 10-week study, online either Monday mornings from 10:00-11:00 AM, or (if there are at least 7 registrants) Monday evenings from 7:00-8:00 PM beginning Monday, September 20 through Monday, November 22. About his recent study book (2020) the well-known United Methodist pastor and author Rev. Adam Hamilton says: “Nearly everyone has heard of the Ten Commandments, the list of “thou shalt not’s” found in the Bible. Jesus saw these commandments not as onerous burdens but as guideposts to help us experience a good and beautiful life.”
To join the group, you will need to:
- Register by email with Rev. Fred Crider no later than Monday, September 13 HERE. There is no registration fee. Please include both your email address and phone #.
- Order the study book for yourself, and read each chapter prior to class. Cokesbury.com has the hardcover book for $14.99.
- Be able to access a link to www.amplifymedia.com to view the accompanying videos prior to class. More details will be available once you register.
- Prayerfully prepare your mind and heart for each class.
Youth Group: Grades 6-12
- MISSION at church – Sunday September 19 from from 6:00-7:30 PM. Dinner and mission project to create mini medical kits to be used at the Adullum Community Healthcare Center in Baltimore City.
- BOWLING at AMF Towson Lanes – Sunday, September 26 from 6:00-7:30 PM: Meet at the bowling alley!
Contact Associate Pastor Christine Kumar in the Church Office at 410.823.6511 for information.
We are working out the details of rehearsing and singing or playing music while keeping everyone safe. If you would like to receive new information as it becomes available, then please email Rev. Doug Hollida. Also the adult choir is very much in need of sopranos, so if you’ve ever thought about it, now’s the time!
August Moment on a Mission: Hampton Lane Child Development Center (CDC)
Hampton Lane Child Development Center (CDC) is a mission of Towson Church! The CDC’s mission is: to provide a quality preschool and child development program where all children are given the opportunity to develop to their full potential. The Center promotes positive values such as honesty, empathy, fairness, caring, cooperation, respect and acceptance. The Center values and recognizes each child as a unique individual while also helping him/her become an effective member of our Hampton Lane community by creating a warm nurturing bond among children, their families, and the faculty. The Center values the partnerships that are developed with parents: working with them, supporting them in their role as parents and sharing knowledge about child development and developmentally appropriate practices. The Hampton Lane CDC is a certified pre-school with the Maryland State Department of Education and an exemplary member of Maryland Excels, a quality early childhood and school-age program that extends additional recognition to schools that exceed Maryland State requirements. Erin Rigley is the CDC’s longtime Director. Your generous giving to Hampton Lane CDC allows this church mission to provide a stellar pre-school experience to nearly 50 students each year. More information: www.hamptonlanecdc.com
To give now, click HERE to use a credit card or online payments. Or, make a monetary donation via check payable to Towson Church and indicate it’s for the monthly communion offering. Mail your check to Towson Church, 501 Hampton Lane, Towson, MD 21286. ATTN: Business Office
Help us spark and sustain the missions and ministries of our church with these easy ways to GIVE.
- Send Weekly Offerings, Fundraiser Payments, and More Donate any time by using our easy, secure donation site HERE. Or, send contributions through the U.S. Mail to Towson Church, 501 Hampton Lane, Towson, MD 21286.
- Shop Online at Amazon SMILE
When you shop at Amazon Smile and select Towson UMC at checkout, our church receives a donation from Amazon for every single purchase. This passive income significantly contributes to our church’s general fund. Click on the link and try it today!
- Questions? Contact Kim Ayres, our Business Office Manager.
Emergency Food Pantry: Monthly Our Food Pantry is now indoors!! Guests are invited to enter Fellowship Hall and enjoy light refreshments while picking up nonperishable food items. Face masks and physical distancing are REQUIRED by all guests and volunteers. (NOTE: Food pantry is the third Saturday of each month from 9:00-10:30 AM, except on November 13 and December 11 dates, which are the second Saturday.) To donate nonperishable food items, bring your groceries to the church lobby on Mondays, Tuesdays, or Wednesdays from 10:00 AM- 3:00 PM or on Sunday mornings between 10:00-11:00 AM.
FOOD ITEMS NEEDED: Cereal, Granola Bars, Canned Chili, Tuna, Chunky Soups, Pork n Beans, Mac n Cheese, 10 oz. Soups, Canned Spaghetti Sauce – No Glass!, 1 lb. Spaghetti Noodles, Canned Green Beans/Peas/Corn, Canned Ravioli/Beef/Spaghetti
Guests may call the HOTLINE at 410.823.3649 and listen to a recorded message regarding any schedule changes or cancellations.
Cribbery Job Opening
Our Cribbery is seeking qualified individuals to work with infants and toddlers (to age 4) on Sunday mornings from 8:30 AM to 12:30 PM. Find more information for this paid, part-time position here: Cribbery Job Posting 2021
Church Office Hours: Monday – Wednesday 10 AM – 3 PM and Thursday – Friday by appointment only
You are receiving information and inspiration because you are connected to Towson United Methodist Church.
© 2018-2021, Towson United Methodist Church/Towson Church, all rights reserved. Volume 4. Issue 108
Towson Church : 501 Hampton Lane, Towson MD 21286 : 410.823.6511 : www.towsonchurch.org